24.9.09

Changed

Do you ever feel like you go through growing pains in life(and I'm not talking about the physical ones you had while in junior high that hurt like the dickens). I'm talking about the phases in life where you know it's time for a change. A good change.

Let me back up by sharing a part of my {very} personal life with you all. Around my 9th grade year in highschool I started having a huge passion for orphans(shouldn't I have been focusing on guys and other things related??). I found myself praying for those children, wanting desperately to take them all in and just give them the love they deserved. That expanded to having a passion for Africa and the extreme poverty I can't even fathom and overpopulated orphanages. I don't know what it is about that multi-cultural continent, but I became fascinated and started learning everything I could about some of the East Coast countries (think Uganda or Kenya). I love the art, traditions, languages but most importantly the people there. I have not had the privilege of making a trip out there, but now looking back I have given up way too many chances. This is where I would always get weird looks from my friends when I would tell them about my love for a place I had never been.

Yesterday,
Brooke (and then Paula) wrote one of her best (or at least my favorite) posts about Katie and the journey she is on taking caring for orphans in Uganda, providing education and food to the children in surrounding villages and even being a mother to 13 children. (by the way, she's only 20). I spent FOUR hours yesterday reading about her life. I cried, laughed, smiled and prayed. It was one of the biggest blessings I have experienced in quite some time. It reminded me. Reminded me of that passion and love that has been buried for years. Reminded me of my greater purpose. Reminded me WHY I went through school to get my Social Work degree. Reminded me that God needs me.

No, I'm not packing up and heading east, although if my husband would come along, I would. JonRoss and I have a shared vision, which is quite exciting, but more on that for another post. I look forward to the day when I will be in Africa. But for now, I have a lot to take care of here. And that is where the "growing pains" kick in. Quite a few things will change for JonRoss and I, but to tell you the truth, I am ready for them, not scared (like normal).

I still love my diy projects, design ideas, wish list items and so forth, but it's time to shake things up a little and add in a bit more personal touches to this blog. In one way, it'll remind me of my ultimate goal and in another keep me grounded. I do hope I haven't bored you all to death, but I couldn't help but sharing a piece of my heart today (and why I changed my blog name).

This weekend we are packing up and heading to Gatlinburg with some cool people. I actually don't know much about the trip (I do know my husband is going to play at a church somewhere), as I have been so busy with other things. So, I am looking forward to getting away and while my husband is busy, taking some time to just chill out.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I can't wait to break out some long sleeves and boots!!




4 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you had such a passion for the orphans of Africa. I'm so proud that you have realized your purpose in life and no matter where life leads you God will give you a way to serve in your area of passion. You don't have to be in Africa to help the cause! It inspires me to pursue my passion even in the situation I am in and am not able to really be out there serving!
    Love,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome Rachel! A strong passion for children is something we've always shared. I would LOVE to become involved in an overseas orphanage/adoption organization myself. I will be praying for you and Jon Ross, as well as all of your upcoming changes. Love you so much!
    ~meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post. Sounds like you have enjoyed Katie's blog as much as I have. I was glued to it for hours and in awe of God's work in her life.

    Have a great weekend. -Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't Katie's blog so inspirational? I think so too.

    I love that you're going to add some personal touches to your blog... I always enjoy reading it. I think that now that you've moved to a new "blog address" it's the perfect time to do it! :)

    ReplyDelete